Dogs can be non-discriminating when it comes to chewing and eating items left around the house. We must be vigilant in making sure our dog’s home and environment are free of dangerous substances.
There are many indoor and outdoor plants that are toxic to dogs. Your vet should be consulted for specific concerns.
Some obvious household items that are poisonous to pets are: bleach, rat and mice poison, ant baits, pesticides, herbicides, lead based paint, and antifreeze. In addition, fabric softener sheets have chemicals that are a danger if chewed or ingested.
Acetaminophen and ibuprofen should never be administered to pets. Recreational and medicinal drugs such as alcohol and marijuana are also dangerous to pets, and extra care should be made to guard them from ingesting these substances.
If you have a dog who chews, do not leave remotes or battery powered children’s toys within your dog’s reach. If your dog swallows or bites through a battery’s protective coating, your dog could be poisoned by the leaking chemicals.
Heavy metals are present in rivers, streams, ponds, and from standing water after rainfall, so be careful not to let your dog drink from these water sources.
10 Foods that are toxic to your dog and should never be ingested:
- Apple seeds
- Cherrie pits
- Coffee grinds
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy cheese
- Onions, garlic, leeks, chives
- Raisins and grapes
- Xylitol (a sweetener used in many foods including gum, toothpaste, yogurt, peanut butter)
Signs of poisoning:
- Depression, trembling, seizures, coma
- Salivation, drooling, foaming at the mouth
- Irritated eyes or skin
- Bleeding from any body orifice
- Open, painful sores on lips, mouth, or skin
If you suspect your dog or cat has ingested a poison, call the American Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Poison Control Center hotline at 1-888-426-4435; or the Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661. These hotlines operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Stay tuned for our blog on cat related dangers!